Enjoying Life and Community in Annapolis Maryland

Enjoying Life and Community in Annapolis Maryland

Saturday, February 2, 2008


Greetings, and welcome to our blog. We are new at this but figured 'what do we have to lose' by setting up a blog? Asolutely nothing...so here goes:

So today I went up to Newburyport, along the Merrimack River, and went birding. Birding isn't catching birds or trapping them, it is simply watching and looking for certain birds. Today I was in search for Bald Eagles. Bald Eagles migrate to the Merrimack River every winter because of the open water. Today I drove north on 95 and drove along the River. Immediately I saw 7 Bald Eagles hanging out on a sand-bar in the middle of the River. I was pumped with excitement! I got my binoculars out and looked through them, and saw 2 adult Bald Eagles and 5 juveniles just hangin' out on the sandbar and in the shallow water. They were playing and washing themselves. It was a sight. Then I setup my scope and tripod to view the eagles through it. Much better than the binoculars! They were flying back and forth from the nearby white pine and paper birch trees along the River to the sand bar. They are so cool to watch. They are so majestic! I took some photos, but they didn't come out so well. I tried to take the photos through the scope but not so good. Oh well, it's the best I can do now.
Then I drove down along the River to a park and saw another Bald Eagle soaring in the wind. Today was a windy day to say the least! Cool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool! i saw condors yesterday in condor crag in the west pinnacles (central coast cali). they were so huge and awesome but, again, my pictures didn't turn out well.

kris said...

wow! jon!
that sounds almost as un as skiing ;)

Anonymous said...

aah, i always remember ivy looking at her bird books in the dorm.
i miss you guys!