Enjoying Life and Community in Annapolis Maryland

Enjoying Life and Community in Annapolis Maryland

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Food Inc.

We watched Food Inc. this afternoon. It is kind of like King Corn but more detailed about where meat/poultry/dairy comes from, how they are raised, what the animals eat, and how it's produced. It was disgusting. The problem, though, with these films is that watching them is entertaining and disgusting but will it move me to change? I want to think - sure it will - but in reality I think that it won't. I have frozen meats in the freezer that I bought from BJs and I'm going to eat them all. Throwing them away is wastful but keeping them means that I am ignoring the film? You could say that I won't buy meats in BJs or other big-box stores but that's kind of ridiculous. Have you looked into purchasing locally grown/fed cattle? It's expensive. Here in New England there are 'meat farms' in Vermont and to buy meat would cost about $250 and up. We participate in a Summer CSA that costs $375 for 15 weeks - the most veggies I eat in a year! I did do some research on WHERE to participate in buying local, here's the website: http://www.localharvest.org/farmers-markets/ (sorry Sally/Ian, nothing in Cananda). However, our food cost would go up immediately! The problem is cost. It seems that it's always the first issue. So after watching this film, like other films I've seen, I'm going to TRY to reduce the amount of GMOs I consume, the amount of corn, and eat more locally...which means we probably won't eat out as much since that food is mass produced, the same as Stop & Shop, etc. I think is ridiculous - from the film - that even the veggies in the grocery stores are modified! It seems that there's nothing 'safe' to eat unless it's organic and locally grown. Maybe we should move to a place next to a farm and 'live off the land' like the Amish do! I wonder how their health is since they don't buy food from the stores....hmmmm, another documentary film idea??
THOUGHTS????

1 comment:

Ian and Sally said...

I enjoyed your post. Lots of the same thoughts I have been having. I guess it is a start to try right?