Enjoying Life and Community in Annapolis Maryland

Enjoying Life and Community in Annapolis Maryland

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Paper or Plastic

There's an article on MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23358591 that discusses which is better: paper or plastic. Paper weighs more, costs more to ship (from tree to factory to consumer...and paper factories pollute a lot!) Plastic bags are made from fossil fuels (OIL) but weighs less and shipping costs are lower than paper. Paper bags are easier to recycle, plastic bags not so muchl; plus trees are a renewable resource while the oil needed for plastic is not. Also, there are certain areas that specifically grow trees for paper use. A good alternative: reusable bags. Pretty much anything resuable is best for the environment in the long run. The link above is a good interactive website. Another website: http://msnbc.newsvine.com/_news/2008/03/11/1359519-battle-of-the-bags-paper-vs-plastic discusses what others think about the topic. I'm going to use reusable bags only.

1 comment:

Ian and Sally said...

YEAH!!!! Way to go! I enjoyed reading the MSNBC article/interactive site. It made me a little mad that the representative for paper bags stated that "reusable bags did not fit Americans busy lifestyle." Yeah right- that is to dumbest cop-out I have ever heard! Anyhow, I am proud you are making the switch. Thanks for helping us become more environmentally aware with your blog!